Wednesday, April 17, 2013

My Top Juicing Recipes

[Image taken by Deb Lindsey for the Washington Post]

I've just begun experimenting with juicing lately. I was turned onto this idea after watching the documentary "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" (that can be found on Netflix). With the help of my roommates juicer, and my ever growing interest in trying new diets for "fun", I've tried a few recipes so far and most of them have been quite good, here are my favorites so far: 

My Top Recipes

Mean Green Juice
1 Cucumber - un-peeled
5 Celery Sticks
2 Green Apples - cored
2-3 Cups of Spinach
1/2 Lemon - rind removed
1 tablespoon fresh Ginger

This is the famous drink from the documentary I mentioned above. If you search for this recipe you will surely find that everyone has their own version of this juice. This was the one I made.


Red Tangy Spice
1 Beet Root - (3" dia)
3 large Carrots - (7-1/4" to 8-/1/2" long)
2 stalk Celery -  large (11"-12" long)
Ginger - 1 thumb (1" dia)
1/2 Lime - (2" dia)
1 Pepper (jalapeno)
2 cups Spinach

This one will not only leave your hand literally beet red, but also the next time you visit the restroom you may think you're pissing blood. Do not be alarmed however, it's just the wonderful beet juice doing its job.

Dragon Blood
Cabbage (red) - 4 leaves
Lemon (with rind) - 1/2 fruit (2-1/8" dia)
Pears - 2 medium

This purple drink is really pretty looking and tastes great too, and with only three ingredients it's super easy to whip up.

Dr. Oz's Green Drink
2 Apples - medium (3" dia)
3 Celery stalks - large (11"-12" long)
1 Cucumber (8-1/4")
Ginger - 1/2 thumb (1" dia)
1/2 Lemon (with rind) (2-3/8" dia)
1 Lime (with rind) (2" dia)
1 bunch Parsley
2 cups Spinach

Just a different version of the 'Mean Green' with a few more added vegetables. That smell of ginger and parsley when going through the juicer is amazing.


Tropical Fruit Juice
1 Kiwi - Peeled
6 Strawberries - Medium
1 Orange or 2 Clementines - Peeled
1/2 Mango - Peeled and Sliced
1/4 cup Coconut Water - Fresh or Canned

This is a rather sweet juice, that I'd love to try making popsicles out of at some point in the future. With all the sugars in it, it would make a nice pick-me-up when that tired feeling part of the day hits you.

[Image from Juicing Juice]

Keep checking this post, cause I may just throw some more juicing recipes on here as I discover better ones over time. Or if you've got some recipes that you really like, please share! ^_^

No comments:

Post a Comment